Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Reviews Are In...

After this afternoon's performance of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, YC Insiders Melissa and Darren had the chance to interview students as they left the theater. Here is an excerpt from Melissa's interviews with high school students Milcah, Tyler, and Sayonna (photo credit goes to Darren.)

Melissa: What overall did you think of the show?

Milcah: It was really good, I mean, I really liked it. The acting was really good, I thought it was really relatable.
Sayonna: It definitely had me laughing every two minutes, also the fact that it wasn’t really cut off from the audience. The cast interacted with us, and they put their own vibes into it.

Melissa: What did you not expect to see, that you did see?

Sayonna: Well the fact that it took place in the 1920s really changed my viewpoint of it. It made me realize that any situation like that can happen no matter the time period. It transformed the show, making it more modern, and made people think it was really contemporary, despite the fact that Shakespearean language was still used.

Melissa: What was your favorite scene in the show?

Tyler: It’s really hard to decide because the scenes didn’t seem much like scenes to me. They flowed more like a story, and so it’s hard for me to choose.

Melissa: Are you team Hero/Claudio or Benedict/Beatrice?


Milcah: Benedict and Beatrice, because Hero and Claudio were kind of goody-goody, and overall I thought the relationship between Benedict and Beatrice was much more interesting to watch. They insulted each other so much, and it was very funny and entertaining.

Tyler: I agree. In a life perspective, it is also a truer relationship as opposed to Hero and Claudio, who just loved each other, whereas Benedict and Beatrice had times where they didn’t and did like each other, and they were lied to. It showed what lying can do, and that’s pretty cool.

Melissa: What was favorite thing displayed in the show?

Tyler:
I’ll definitely have to say the costumes. In usual Shakespeare, people wear high necked pieces, and frilly stuff. It was different than what I assumed to see. The acting was also absolutely amazing; the character that stood out most was Don John.
Sayonna: The music, to hear the music and think about the time period it was, it just pumped it up. It wasn’t ballroom dancing – waltz, it was jazz and had heart. I loved that.

Melissa: Can you describe the show in three words?


Tyler: Awesome, awesome and awesome.
Sayona: Trilling, unexpected and hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment