Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Open Arms: An Interview with the Assistant Director of MACBETH, Natalie Gee


Meet Tyasia, a member of CSC NextGen!


Tyasia (aka Asia)
Grade: 11

Hobbies/Interests: I like singing, acting, dancing, basketball, step-team, writing, poetry, musical theatre, community service, and voiceovers.

What aspects of theatre are you most interested in? I am most interested in themes that are portrayed in a piece.

What parts of the MACBETH rehearsal process are you most interested in telling other students about? The ensemble process and how much fun it will be!

Anything else we should know? I love musicals! I can’t wait to see what CSC will do next!


Asia recently assistant directed a production of the musical INTO THE WOODS at her high school. She so enjoyed the experience that she wanted to meet with a fellow assistant director and learn more! She had the opportunity to speak with Natalie about her role as Assistant Director for MACBETH. Here's what Nat had to say!


Natalie (aka Nat)
What are the job responsibilities of an assistant director? To be the director's second pair of eyes and in taking detailed notes that capture the positive yet also the weaknesses in the text, performances, and the production as a whole. To ensure the director's artistic vision is clearly understood and investigated by the actors. To be able to contribute your own personal ideas to the team and offer other choices for the actors on how to see, feel and play with the text in rehearsals. Allow the actors to feel comfortable to explore and take risks during rehearsals.

How did you get the job of being an assistant director? I was very lucky that back in January 2011 I began an internship with CSC and have been fortunate to work with them on and off since then. I met Tony Speciale, the director of Macbeth, through CSC and we became friends. I told Tony I would always love to work with him one day and he called me up a few weeks before rehearsals for Mackers begun and asked if I'd be interested in being Assistant Director for the production. Of course, I accepted with open arms.

What is your working relationship like with Tony, the director? Tony is a wonderful director, his vision is so unique and captivating. Tony is not territorial about his work and was really supportive in my ideas and interpretation, it was an absolute joy to see him work and be able to give my opinions. It was great to have such trust between us.

What is the best part of your job? So many things!! Getting to work with such a passionate director and cast. I love being able to go on a journey with an actor and mentor them through their choices and ideas about a character. Directing an actor and pushing them to commit and go deeper with their acting is very exciting and inspiring.

What is your connection with the actors? What is it like to work with a large ensemble? The actors were all very talented and committed. It was wonderful to work with such a open minded and playful cast. At first, I have to be honest, I was intimidated by such a large cast (20 actors) but when you realize everyone is committed and wants the best for the production you become like a family and trust in one another that you're doing your best to make Mackers a fun and exciting show. I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment