Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Being A Sour Berry with Jason Martin "Jacques"!

CSC: Which Shakespearean character do you most relate to? Which Shakespearean character would you most want to play?

Jason Martin: Identifying with Shakespearean characters???  They're so moody and funny and fickle and dramatic...um...maybe Benedict cause he's rather snarky sometimes but has a heart of gold!!!?!!!!
In general, I find it pretty difficult to play characters that are happy all the time...I can be a bit of a sour berry so usually I enjoy a character who has seen some darker side of life...villains are amazing to play!  I want to play kings and tyrants for the rest of my life...lovers are good and all but why fall in love on stage when you can take over the kingdom!!!  But to be totally honest, a dream role would actually be to play a female role like Olivia in Twelfth Night.  I saw an all male production from England with Mark Rylance (coming to Broadway in Jerusalem) and he played Olivia...He was amazing!  For the first time I discovered all the nuance and subtleties found in Shakespeare's words if a man is playing a woman.  And other times, as with Viola, it's fascinating with a man playing a woman who is playing a man!!!  So many layers, who wouldn't want that challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment